What Happens if I’m Sued for Damaging Someone’s Home?

Even the most diligent person can accidentally damage someone else’s property. Maybe you accidentally knocked over someone’s vase. Perhaps you accidentally spilled coffee on someone’s computer. Things like this happen all the time. And when they do, there’s a chance you will be held liable for the damage.

If this happens, you’re probably wondering what to do. After all, litigation can be expensive and time-consuming. If you live in Grand Ledge, MI, Bye Financial Group LLC is here to help with a surprising tip involving your home insurance.

What happens when you’re sued for property damage?

The owner of the damaged property will likely file a lawsuit against you. This is called a ‘personal injury suit. The person suing you is called the ‘plaintiff,’ and the person being sued is called the ‘defendant.’ The plaintiff will likely claim that you were negligent and that this negligence caused the damage.

No matter what you do, you will have to defend yourself in court. This means that you will have to find an attorney to represent you. You will have to gather evidence to prove that you were not negligent. Or, if you were careless, you would have to work toward a settlement with the plaintiff.

How expensive is property damage litigation?

Lawsuits are notoriously expensive. Even if the settlement is small, hiring a lawyer, court fees, and other legal costs can add up quickly. Soon a payment of a couple of hundred dollars may turn into thousands you will have to pay.

How can your home insurance help you?

Some people don’t realize that the personal liability insurance they have on their homes is designed to help them if they are sued in the event of a personal injury. This doesn’t just mean injuries or damage that happen on your property. It also includes injuries or damage caused by you or a member of your household off-property.

Get in touch with Bye Financial Group LLC today to learn more about the benefits of having home insurance in Grand Ledge, MI.