top of page
  • Bye Insurance

What Type of Water Damage Can Homeowners Insurance Cover?

Updated: Apr 6, 2023

Homeowners insurance is separate from flood indemnification, and it’s essential to know the difference in what is covered in your primary policy. Water that touches the ground before entering your Grand Ledge and Grad Rapids, MI home is typically defined as a flood, and this can be from rising creeks, rivers, or lakes, or it can be caused by gullies or culverts that have overflowed due to heavy rain. Damage from these kinds of situations is not covered.

Your homeowner’s insurance, however, will cover events resulting from a sudden outpouring of water, such as a broken pipe. This will typically originate from inside the home and will also need to have not occurred due to neglect of the structure.

You may have appliances, such as washing machines or dishwashers, that experience a breakdown, causing an influx of moisture to damage or destroy aspects of your home. Leaky roofs can also allow water to accumulate in walls or on floors, mainly if this occurs during a storm event. Scenarios like these are generally covered.

If your basement has a sump pump, you can speak to your Bye Insurance agent about an endorsement that applies to backups from the malfunction of these devices.

It is essential to distinguish these from gradual damage resulting from failure to maintain the structure, as it is considered the homeowner’s duty to perform due diligence in making repairs to their property as necessary. Therefore, problems like rot and mold would not be covered.

Bye Insurance Can Assist You

We specialize in providing our clients in Grand Ledge and Grand Rapids, MI with the insurance products and services they need to protect them in all areas of life. Contact us today by phone or online to schedule an appointment to meet in the office. We look forward to working with you.



bottom of page